Monday, November 21, 2005

Papal Fortress

We didn't get much snow in North Carolina when I was a kid, so instead of snowballs, we threw other stuff at each other. Painful, messy stuff like unripe persimmons and sap-covered green pine cones that would stick in your hair. These missiles called for serious protection, so we became serious fort builders. We had a big wood pile in our backyard that always served as one wall, and then my friends and I improvised the other three. The best was the time we found huge pallets and made a bunker with a roof. It was almost safe. I still have a small scar on my scalp from when it collapsed under the combined weight of John Lusk and Scotty Miller... man, were they fat.

These days, the weapons have changed. It's mostly lightsabers in the hallway, or the occassional towel snapping battle in the kitchen, but the need for a sound fortress into which one can retreat remains. I don't know, maybe it's the male version of that nesting urge that women get. At any rate, I gave in to my need for a fort this past weekend, and constructed my very own ghetto fabulous Fortress of Solitude (and it's really quite cool, despite the fact that I stole the name from Superman, who is totally lame).

The bed is 64" high, which leaves ample room underneath for my "lair"...

As Captain Corley put it, "My fortress brings all the kids to the yard..."

(Note: Fuck-proof brackets by Strong Soviet Mother Inc.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Mandyfish said...

Dude, you built a jungle gym!

The logistics of you (or anyone actually) getting up into the bed are still somewhat baffling...

11:18 AM  
Blogger Linus said...

I came up with many responses to Mandy:

"I use my Sith powers to Force-jump into bed."

"The bed is just for show. I'm the Black Pope, and evil never sleeps."

"The elevator is towards the back of the lair... Go past the reactor, turn right at the launch pad, and then you can't miss it - it's just to the left of the tank of sharks with frickin' lasers on their heads."

"The athleticism needed to climb into the bed is sort of a test... if you're not fit and agile enough to do that, it's probably not safe for you to be in bed with me."

"My staff lifts me into and out of bed. How DO the common people get by?"

The truth of the matter is much less cool - there is a ladder that isn't shown in the pictures.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Tessa K. said...

do you really want it to be a fortress of solitude? i mean, what is the point of a fuck-proof fortress if it is a solitude fortress?

5:51 PM  
Blogger sivartkram said...

Strong Soviet Mother was very proud when she heard of your fortress, it has her full endorsement.

And I kinda like it too, good use of space. Like oh my god!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

*laughter* Had not idea you guys were blogging together. Awesome! (Particularly the brackets).

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home